Between operating KickStand and our mega irrigation project, there's not a while lot of extra time - I find myself forever balancing work, projects and play, as go from KickStand to irrigation work to riding bikes until dusk to finally making dinner and falling asleep to the Tour de France bed by 9:30pm. Don't even ask me about hobbies... someday I'll take up metal-smithing or something cool. For now, I fall asleep before reading half a page in a book.
Amidst the craziness, and tight scheduling, I have found a few moments of glory/success using the following recipe:
1. Wake up early, go to bed early! Take advantage of the quiet early morning hours to get a workout in or get those nagging to-do's done and off the list. For me, spraying the orchard in the early morning hours means I can pedal my bike after work.
2. Set time limits (We’re going riding at 1pm!) - It's easy to get engulfed in work, especially when you're excited or passionate about it. However, remember to take care of yourself and schedule time to exercise and do you.
3. Plan for success - Try to layout your week and schedule tightly so you can maximize your free time! Big fan of Evernote, Google Reminders and of course Google Calendar. Don't forget, if you have to, schedule in you time - that could be a bike ride, yoga or straight up free time.
4. Fuel your body - I can't say this enough. If you don't have gas in your car, you can't go anywhere. Same with your body! Eat from the rainbow to get the proper macro/micronutrients your body needs, and be sure to eat plenty of protein. Don't have time to think about it? Consider a protein shake as a "meal replacement" or a greens/reds powder. It may feel like cheating, but at the end of the day, you're better able to meet your daily requirements, feel better and be ready for the next day. My life-saving hack is 1st Phorm Opti Health Stack, featuring Green & Red Powders - I make a shake before breakfast using the powders, and know my body is getting what it needs to perform whether I am able to eat properly that day or not. Greens = immune boosting, better gut flora and improved digestion, while Reds = antioxidants + improved blood flow. It's like taking a multivitamin for micronutrients...you know your giving your body what it needs.
5. Meal Prep - Once a week we smoke all our proteins on a Traeger so "the hard part" is done for the week - this ensures we eat a healthy meal vs reach for those potato chips because we're too tired to cook. All you need to do is reheat your protein, cook some veggies and add in some complex carbs.
Got a pro tip? Share your tips & tricks to maintaining life balance amidst all your projects!